Translate this blog into another language

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Trusting In The God Of The Present: Part 2

Secondly, Mary & Martha were troubled with:

 2. Distance-  Martha said "Lord if you would have been "here" my brother would have not died". They thought Jesus had to be present to heal him. Martha, being that woman of action, was in her own way accusatory. She was troubled because she knew that the Lord had healed others from a distance, like He did the Centurion's servant, but He didn't do the same for someone that He said He loved. These will be hard words for some people, but sometimes sickness is designed for the glory of God. (John 11:.4) Sin is not always the cause of sickness like some may believe. Look at the apostle Paul. God never healed him and although his infirmity was never cured Paul was a much stronger Christian and apostle for God's service. God received more glory from Paul's illness than He would have from his health .

It's the same with us. Suffering often produces a stronger servant. I can attest to that myself. I feel that because of my suffering I have a closer relationship with the Lord, and I'm grateful. It seems that now, after going through the trials, that I have realized who my God really is and I can truly say " Even if". Even if the Lord chooses for me not to hold this baby alive. Even if I get Cancer or some horrible sickness or disease. Even if I lose my precious family members to death or I go financially bankrupt, I know that I will be sustained by Him .  My assurance in the Lord is all because of the trials that I have been through.  He has proven Himself to me time and time again and that's why I have so much confidence in my future with Him. I am not a victim, but a true victor because of Him.

 Thirdly, Mary & Martha were troubled with:

3. Disbelief - I feel this is the major part of the lesson here. Mary & Martha had a shallow understanding of who He was. Martha believed He was a God of the past when she said " If you would have been here He would not have died."  She also believed He was a God of the future when she said in Vs. 24( speaking of Lazarus) " I know he shall rise again in the resurrection at the last day." She believed He would be the resurrection. What about a present God?

The Lord proved He was a God of the PRESENT with His response to Martha in Vs. 25. He said " I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live." So in that statement He was saying to her " I am the God of the present! "  Martha's disbelief  and anxiety was for the present time. She said that he was dead and he stinks. All hope seemed lost.

Remember Jesus saying in Vs. 15 that He was glad that He wasn't there to heal Lazarus so that they would believe. His absence allowed Lazarus to die so that He could perform the miracle of resurrection and increase the faith of  Mary, Martha, and His disciples. They needed to have faith in Jesus' ability to give life because they would soon see their beloved Savior hanging on a cross. They would need to have true confidence in their faith to believe He had power over death!

Death! Sickness! These have been real anxieties of mine and I am sure the anxieties of so many others as well. I was so scared that I was going to lose my only living child to some horrible accident or sickness. Another big fear I had was leaving her motherless from me dying of some horrible disease like Cancer. Death, no matter the time, is a shocker! Especially experiencing the sudden death of someone you love. There is no preparation and you are immediately sent into a total collaboration of numbness, fear , and shock.

I saw the frailty of life the day Zion died and it was reaffirmed the day that I found out that Selah had died also . In my fear I was scared to death of death itself . Not that I wasn't assured of my salvation, but that I didn't want the pain or sting of death anymore. Death and I had become well acquainted. Death was scary, it seemed hopeless, and it literally hurt! However, the Bible tells us that  Christians need not fear death. No one will ever die one second too soon or too late.

Hbr 9:27           "And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment. " - We ALL have a specific appointment.


1Sa 2:6           "The LORD killeth, and maketh alive: he bringeth down to the grave, and bringeth up."

So the Lord is in control of every breath. We seem to find this easier to believe, or even digest, when it is an old saint , however, when it's a child we feel very different. It's disturbing for some to think of  God's control in that. Is God only in control of old people dying and He loses the reigns when babies or young people die? Does He step down from His holy throne at times and at other times have His hands tied to our will or circumstances in our life.  No, I believe that God  is Sovereign in everything or in nothing at all.

This concept was one I struggled with myself when Zion and Selah died. My first thoughts were those of "What did I do wrong that took my baby's life?" If I had only not done this or if I would have just done that. My family were quick to point out all the things I should've done so he /she could've lived and still to this day those comments hurt. The what ifs broke me at the time and ultimately placed fear and doubt in my clear view. I started to see with a more humanistic view and I lost my understanding of the truth of who God was.

I knew from my experience that He was a God of the past.  And I knew from the Bible that He would be my God of the future.  But where was my God of the present?

*Stay tuned for the last part of the post











No comments:

Post a Comment